Our parish formally began on October 12, 1890, with the dedication of Sacred Heart Catholic Church at First and E Streets. That building, which accommodated 50 people, still stands today at the original site. Sacred Heart School opened in September of 1938 with three teachers. At about the same time, and with great foresight, the parish acquired the present property to accommodate future growth.
First to move to the present site was the school, with six classrooms at its opening in 1942. For a time, the school gymnasium served as a temporary church. In 1951, the rectory was completed, with the second floor used for additional school classes. On Mother's Day in 1951, the request of the parish for a name change was granted, and we became Our Lady of the Lake Parish, to honor the Blessed Mother and better identify our location. In 1955, a block adjoining the school property was purchased for a future convent and for the school playground. That same year, ground breaking for the present church took place. On June 24, 1956, Archbishop Edward Daniel Howard and the parish dedicated Our Lady of the Lake Church.